Positive Behavior Support
We strive to help people be successful in the community, and a key part of that success hinges on positive behavior. Through an approach called Positive Behavior Support, we have been able to support clients with a history of failed placement due to behavior problems.
Positive Behavior Support works by making problem behavior irrelevant, inefficient and ineffective, and demonstrating that goals can only be achieved through behaving in a socially acceptable manner. We identify the triggers for problem behavior and try to remove them from the person’s environment. We work to replace negative behaviors with newly learned skills and increase opportunities for clients to behave positively.
Important Aspects of Positive Behavior Support:
- Respects the dignity of the person
- Based on understanding the individual and their environment
- Emphasizes preventing problem behaviors before they occur
- Makes clients active participants in the process
- Eliminates natural rewards of problem behavior
- Maximizes natural rewards of positive behavior